Tuesday 13 November 2012

If you've got my back I'll go on.

This Sunday night will go down in history as THE GREATEST NIGHT EVER IN MY LIFE, OKAY?!?

For those of you who aren't already aware, I went to see Frank Turner. For those of you who are aware, I DON'T CARE, YOU CAN KNOW AGAIN.


I should probably stop using capitals now. You guys might get scared that I'm angry. BUT DON'T FEAR; I'M NOT ANGRY. I'M JUST VERY EXCITED TO TELL YOU ABOUT THE WONDROUS EVENTS THAT OCCURRED.

For starters, I was excited because I'd never been to Rock City before. Let me say; I will definitely be going there again in the future. It's a bloody fantastic venue. Especially considering the view that we got from the balcony. Brilliant I tell you, BRILLIANT.

We got there quite early (blasting out some Frank on the way there of course) and so we were quite near the front of the queue. ALTHOUGH IT WAS FREEZING. But me and Dana soon distracted ourselves by spying through the windows of the tour bus... But then they shut the curtains, which made us sad (imagine us pulling super-duper sad faces. That's how sad we were). However, we had a little giggle at the man that appeared to have gotten stuck in the door. Sorry Man In The Door.

THEN, Mia gave us our tickets, which made us happy. My ticket is very pretty. It has sparkly letters on it. I shall keep it forever and ever. It's pretty cool.

So eventually we went in (WOO) and the ticket man took my ticket stub and then a big scary man looked in my bag. Now, I'm the sort of person that panics in a situation like this. Even though I had nothing to panic about; I had my camera and my house keys in there. Hardly volatile substances... But anyway. Then we went inside and the room was starting to fill up, and so we went up to the balcony and secured the prime spot. It was great. Although the floor was VERY sticky. I think that I remember Dana comparing it to quicksand...

After much anticipation, Jim Lockey & the Solemn Sun came on stage. And my word, they were FABULOUS. Me and Dana were dancing along so much! I felt as though I'd heard them a million times before; they were so catchy! (I listened to them on Spotify for like an hour earlier. THEY'RE SO GOOD) Please check them out!

After JL&tSS, it was Tim Barry. He was from AMEEERICAAA. (please read that in a Southern American accent.) He was good; he said "y'all" quite a lot and sang some very real songs about life. Then he told us to challenge ourselves more often. You know, I think that he makes a really good point.

Then when Tim was finished it all got a bit tense... FRANK WAS NEXT.

9:30 came. It was the moment of truth. The following two hours passed so quickly. They really didn't seem to last that long. I wish it could have gone on forever. And ever and ever and ever and ever.

First and foremost, he started with If Ever I Stray. My second favourite song. My favourite was saved until last... But more on that later. ANYWAY. He sang If Ever I Stray really slowly to start with, just him on his own with his guitar, and then the pace picked up at the chorus and The Sleeping Souls came on and it all just went BOOM. Not literally like something exploding, but the bass and the drums just vibrated your whole body. It was amazing. I love that feeling; there's really nothing else like it. Then I don't really remember the rest vividly. It's all just a cumulative ball of Frank-ness. BUT A BLOODY FABULOUS ONE NEVERTHELESS. I really didn't want it to end. I sang along to every word (my throat was very sore by the end of the night. I was very surprised to wake up Monday morning with a voice...) and I clapped and shouted and danced and screamed a lot too. It was amazing. There really aren't enough words to adequately describe it.


So when it got to the end of the set, everyone went off stage and nobody quite knew what to do. So we all clapped for an encore. One of those claps that starts off really slowly and gets quicker and quicker until there's just loads of noise.


SO THEN THEY CAME BACK ON STAGE AND SANG PHOTOSYNTHESIS. MY FAVOURITE SONG. IT WAS SPECTACULAR. And he sang Dan's Song too, which made me feel as though the whole crowd had been transformed into this one big happy family who loved being in each other's company. Nothing else mattered but Frank and his music. That was a pretty special moment.


So, in summary, I had the most brilliant time. It will never be forgotten. I recorded the end on my camera, so now whenever I'm feeling down I can just sit and watch it and relive the magic. IT WAS DEFINITELY MAGIC.

I really don't know what else to say now. Other than GO SEE FRANK TURNER LIVE BECAUSE HE IS AMAZING.


P.S. I have realised that I have used the word "amazing" rather excessively in this blog post. I would apologise, but it's really such a fantastic adjective. It's amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment